Our late summer holiday this year was to Mumbles, a tourist town on the Gower peninsula. I'd initially thought of it as a suburb of Swansea but it is separated by a considerable green space, is quite different in character, and is a genuinely self-contained seaside town. The Welsh Coast Path passes around the peninsula as it weaves through a number of picturesque bays. Nearly all of our walks were on the coast although we did go inland a few times for variety and to save a bit of distance. In view of my sore foot we didn't do any long walks although across the weeks we estimated an average of 10 miles a day.
![]() |
| Mumbles lighthouse at low tide |
Around the Gower there are a number of small offshore tidal islands that can be reached by stony causeways at low tide. Just beyond the edge of Mumbles the island carries an eighteenth century lighthouse. I planned my visit to be about an hour before low tide so that I knew I had at least two hours for my trip. The causeway is rough underfoot and couldn't be rushed, nevertheless, I had more than enough time to cross and look around. I wasn't able to access the other islands as we weren't there at the right time for the tide.
![]() |
| Oxwich bay from the chapel |
The bays are distinctly concave and in many cases large enough that you can look across and see where you've come from, or are going too.
![]() |
| Rhossili bay beach |
On weekdays, in term time, many areas were quiet with only a few dog walkers on the beach. I don't think we met anyone who appeared to be walking the whole coastal path. We did meet runners in the Gower Ultra one day, many walking uphill and jogging down, as is traditional for non-elite runners. I have to admit that I was slightly jealous and look forwards to having a healed foot.
We covered most of the 'south' of the Gower peninsula path and have been encouraged to return to explore the north coast which is more wetland than beach.



No comments:
Post a Comment