Sunday 2 June 2013

Knees!

A few years ago I struggled with lateral knee pain on my right leg after cycling for 20 minutes or so. A local physiotherapist diagnosed iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS) and prescribed some exercises. I have to say that I haven't cycled since. I think the precipitating factor was doing a long ride whilst under-trained. The bad news is that I now think I've started it in my left leg; I woke up this morning with a bit of an ache and I'm well aware of it after a stroll around Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

I suppose I had always done more of the stretches on the right and neglected the  left and perhaps that has come back to haunt me. It's the classic presentation, novice runner 2 months before event who increases distance. Anyway, I've paid good money for an event this summer so I'll have to work hard on the recovery programme:

  • relative rest - probably means more swimming?
  • ITBS stretches
  • gluteus medius strengthening
  • ice
I suspect that the long run and then a short run with new shoes were a trigger, but the old shoes and lack of stretching on the left had probably set things in motion already.

No comments:

Post a Comment