Thursday, 27 August 2026

Second opinion

Six months into plantar fasciitis I have had a second opinion from the other physiotherapist in my local practice. According to a recent review I have a few predisposing factors including a high arch and calf tightness alongside regular running. Although my symptoms are fairly long-standing it doesn't seem sensible to progress to 'Phase 3' therapies when I've not systematically undertaken stretching and mobility of the tissues. Although I undertake calf-raising exercises in a runners' circuit I haven't, as yet, systematised this in the long term.

The currently suggested programme is centred on mobility of the foot and calf without focus on massage of the potentially-inflamed fascia. I'm also including toe scrunch and towel-lifts to activate the intrinsic muscles of the feet. Next week I'm also encouraged to do some very small rope skipping. Such pylometric exercises are generally discouraged in plantar fasciitis so I'll need to be on the look out for a worsening of symptoms.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment