Sunday, 26 July 2026

SwimQuest Mathraki First swimming day

The hotel breakfasts are really generous so it's a good job that time was allowed for it to 'settle' before swimming. However, once in the water I found it cold and suffered in the so-called warm-up. The guides noticed the shivering. They allowed me to be first to be videoed, I didn't expect to look good.

Screen shot of my 'before' swimming
Still of the video of my first swim, feel free to critique the technique

We were given some tips for sighting and it was stressed that this is a safety issue. Cassie's recommended technique is to push down, to raise your body, for a quick peek, followed by a breath to the side. Of course I practiced during the week but this should be topped up in the pool over coming months. On some swims over the coming days I found the waves to be too high for this technique to allow me to see the destination and I had to stop and peer meerkat-like.

Before lunch we had a presentation, an overview of technique, which thankfully mirrored my local coach's advice. At least there is a consensus now. My video revealed the usual problems which I thought I'd reduced. I blame the cold. I'd learn more tomorrow.

The bad weather had brought cold water evidently, so I fought my way into my wetsuit for the afternoon swim. This was a comfortable 1.2km along the shallow coastline towards a beached yacht.

A yacht, stranded on the beach
The yacht floundered in a storm a few weeks ago

Yesterday a few of us walked up the road to a small ridge to see the sunset. We were a little late so allowed more time this evening. However, we were thwarted by a layer of cloud. In coming days there'll be opportunities to have clear skies perhaps? An evening walk felt essential after 3 square meals today and only short swimming sessions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment