Before swimming we each received 10 minutes of feedback on our recorded swim. Importantly, Cassie explained the possible causes of the actions we could see rather than focusing on the visible issue. For instance, she noted my 'putting on the brakes' hand during reach and suggested that this was likely due to a lack of core control. I needed to deal directly with that, not just angle my arm differently. Points to think about are:
- Leading arms at 11 and 1 o'clock
- Rotation should start at hips, do more
- Avoid head lift at the end of a breath
- Keep heel up in kick, not downwards
The practical technique session considered parallel, forwards arms. I'm fairly consistent here after plentiful catch-up drills. Already I was aware of discomfort in my left shoulder. I'd start a programme of ibuprofen gel and daily paracetamol. Cassie had stressed the importance of technique in minimising injuries in swimming, and indeed that she'd had problems herself from technique that was less-than-ideal. I won't be swimming a hundred km per week though.
![]() |
| Swimmers close to the Mathraki shore |
The afternoon swim was from the support boat near the harbour and across the bay, naturally I got lost on the return leg and had to be coaxed in the right direction. I'd wondered why the boat I was targeting was moving further away, still worth doing 1.6km. Comparing wayfinding approach between trips I'd say that I prefer to follow a kayak than be unsure whether to head towards the support boat or a fixed landmark. On dry land I can visualise a route readily but in the water, perhaps due to the low sightline, I often find myself slightly confused.
We ate at the Blue Dolphin tavern near the harbour this evening. Starters were great, but the vegan main course a little disappointing. A good welcome there nonetheless.

No comments:
Post a Comment