![]() |
| Sunrise seen from near the hotel, just like a sunset... |
Today we really did go to Arillas, a busy seaside resort on the ‘mainland’ of Corfu (the website shows how the village has become busier over the last 40 years). On the way we stopped in yesterday's sheltered spot and explored the rocky margins, including a small sea cave. Once warned of sea urchins I didn't put my feet down. We practiced rotation again before a few hundred metres into less sheltered waters. Before leaving the island we had a brief tour of its cliffs in the powerboat.
![]() |
| One of the boats nudging into the cliffs |
Arillas wasn't great. It has bars, an ATM (which had run out of cash) and a pharmacy. It was also very hot and busy; reasons I've not visited Greece previously. I tried a walk but after a 10 minutes I just had to return to the covered bar area.
Our technique session on the beach was on ‘catch’ after a reminder to think about an engaged core. Not easy to concentrate on both. Need to:
- Hinge arms after a light touch reach
- Just do a right angle, avoid deliberately going under your body
- Only apply force under your body after a successful ‘hinge’ and follow through
- Think about leading with wrist, not hand
After a brief tour of the Church of St Spyridon by Georgios, we ate at the adjacent ‘locals’ taverna uphill of the hotel. It was nominally a BBQ but started with the usual salads and giant beans. I was served with a lovely mushroom casserole as the guides had let the cook know that I'm not keen on aubergine (they've so much to do to look after us all). The omnivores did receive a stack of various barbequed meats.
![]() |
| Some chose to take the minibus back to the hotel |
Tonight was full moon, we had an atmospheric walk back to our hotel, not easy to photograph well.



No comments:
Post a Comment