Sunday 8 May 2016

April 2016 Week 1 Session 2

After a week of not swimming today's session felt rather unfamiliar. The warm-up set was over 5:30min, the first time this has happened in weeks, mainly due to the lane being blocked.

The main session comprised sets of 6 lengths slow and then 2 fast, being repeated 10 times; potentially with a rest every 2 sets. Despite starting slowly my early fast sets weren't any better paced but as I settled in (read tired?) there was more distinction. I managed lengths at paces of 2:05 and 2:01min/100m in the middle. By the end I was slower but managed to set up my pace by 10s for the 'fast' pair. Initially the lane was fine but towards the end it became busy and that stopped me doing as well as I could have and spoilt the data recording.

The first week on one of Julian's programmes is always physically demanding and a bit confusing as I'm not sure what is needed and how fatigued I'll be. By the end of the 12 week block I feel in need of a change. This reminds me of the very old fashioned 'Muscle Confusion Principle' from the Weider training programme!


Naturally some sort of scheme is needed too to make sure that overload is progressive and focussed o weak spots. This isn't an excuse to be totally random...

No comments:

Post a Comment