Wednesday 7 May 2014

Two more months

This evening's session with the physio was focussed on recovery and came with the suggestion that it was likely to take another 2 months, assuming that I've had a month already. The tissues are less tender than previously and I reported less discomfort after walking trips implying that healing is taking place. So what do I have to do?
  • 2 sets of 10 very slow single leg descents down stairs repeated 2 or 3 times daily
  • 1 set of 10 lunges - to be very controlled ensuring that knee stays behind ankle, with raised arms to engage more core muscles
  • 1 set of 10 small squats - as above no forward movement of knees, leaning forwards to balance  torso
I should also try to achieve 5km runs per week which should be done on the level or slightly uphill. Descents should be walked. Also the runs to be done ina 3minutes run 1minute walk cycle. There should be at least 48hours between runs. Whilst the step descents are prescribed daily the squats and lunges aren't to be done on run days. The current programme of roller and stretching is to be continued too.

This is quite a programme and I shouldn't continue through pain in any set nor start a set or run if I'm still in discomfort from the previous activity. So really it is a gaol for the next few weeks rather than something to be done now.

As an aside, I was watched doing a few minutes on a treadmill and apparently every 3 steps or so I swing a leg close to, or even occasionally across, the midline. Clearly this puts significant lateral forces on the connective tissues. I'm supposed to try to keep my feet on 2 lines shoulder width apart, but quite how to achieve this without looking down all the time is unclear to me. This webpage seems to show a case a little more marked than me.

At the circuit class I did 1 set of lunges and 2 of squats and walked there and back as I had my commuting rucsac with me. I didn't notice any issues at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment